Certain freedoms, or civil liberties, and privacy, a civil right, are concepts highly revered by Americans; however, there are times when the two conflict in the name of safety and security. The Digital Age is having a profound effect on the issue as cameras catch our every move, whether it is running a red light, entering a building, playing in a park, or using an ATM machine.
This assignment is based on your opinion regarding privacy versus safety and security. Answer the following questions in a cohesive essay consisting of at least two pages, double-spaced, using 12-point Times font. You must use at least three sources. Make sure that all sources are cited and referenced using APA style.
- Begin by identifying which part of the Constitution provides for your privacy rights. Do you believe that with todayâ€™s technology the Constitution still adequately protects those rights? Why, or why not?
- Select and describe an issue that has been in the news within the last 15 years related to how politics and the right to privacy have intersected and led to an invasion of privacy. If you believe no rights were violated, select a relevant article and discuss what actions would have created violation of privacy and why.
- Take a stand. Do you agree with the invasion of privacy story you discussed in #2 above, or do you object? Where do you draw the line in this privacy issue? Explain your response.
- Explain how historical thought and tradition affect civil liberties and rights as they pertain to the issue you chose.
- What consequences do you support for those who cross the line?
- What, if any, compensation do you recommend for the victims?history