Write a 6-8-page essay analyzing a chosen diversity issue covered in the media.
SCORING GUIDE MUST BE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER
- Collins, R. L. (2011). Content analysis of gender roles in media: Where are we now and where should we go? Sex Roles, 64(3/4), 290â€“298.
- This article examines research on the use of quantitative content analyses in the study of gender stereotyping in the media.
- Cooky, C., Wachs, F. L., Messner, M., & Dworkin, S. L. (2010). It’s not about the game: Don Imus, race, class, gender and sexuality in contemporary media. Sociology of Sport Journal, 27(2), 139â€“159.
- This article examines how the media uses â€œframesâ€ to portray diversity and social inequality.
- Critical Media Project. (n.d.). Class. Retrieved from http://www.criticalmediaproject.org/cml/topicbackg…
- This article focuses on how social class is portrayed in todayâ€™s media.
- Deggans, E. (2014, December 6)). Four lessons from the mediaâ€™s conflicted coverage of race. Retrieved from http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/12/06/…
- This article offers a critique on the mediaâ€™s recent portrayal of racial issues.
- Healey, J. F., & O’Brien, E. (2015). Race, ethnicity, gender, & class: The sociology of group conflict and change (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chapters 3â€“5.
- This textbook explores diversity from a sociological perspective.
- Institutional Discrimination in the News | Transcript.
- This montage features television, print, and radio news stories about institutional discrimination.
- Merton’s Typology of Prejudice and Discrimination | Transcript.
- This resource describes Mertonâ€™s categories for labeling prejudice and discrimination, along with examples of scenarios that apply his typology.
- Zayani, M. (2011). Media, cultural diversity and globalization: Challenges and opportunities. Journal of Cultural Diversity, 18(2), 48â€“54.
- This research article discusses the mediaâ€™s role in promoting an understanding of cultural diversity.
- The following video was purchased through Films Media Group for use in this Capella course. Any distribution of video content or associated links is prohibited.
- How to Do a Content Analysis
- This Capella resource shows how to conduct a content analysis involving visual media.